In the end, we all seem to succumb to this virus, the 'mug rug fever'. I'm no exception.
I've been eyeing one particular section of my stash for quite some time, and today I wanted a project easy and fast enough to test my sewing machine quilting skills. I also wanted to try a new batting (some light felted fabric) and see how it comes out once it's quilted.
I had a little fat quarters bundle (6 pieces) with Provence colors and patterns which I've always wanted to use: I decided for a somewhat modern design, very easy and speedy for my first mug rug project.
|freshly pieced stripes for the project|
|on the front|
|on the back|
Next I sewed and attached the binding (sorry, I still handstitch on the back, I'm not brave enough to try out the machine binding tutorials you all keep talking about).
I'm satisfied with the final product and I've achieved my goals for this project:
- I did make a mug rug that's pleasing to watch;
- I've finally used my long-eyed bundle of Provence fabric;
- my sewing machine is quilt-ok;
- the (felted) batting works for this kind of projects, but it probably will be too stiffy for a quilt.
Yes, it's been a productive day! Got to have some tea...